It’s official! The title to the much anticipated, Zac Snyder directed, Man of Steel sequel is: Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice!!! Pretty awesome if you ask me! And way to make it front and center that this movie will be leading up to the Justice League movie(s)!!!
Check out the official logo below, what do you think!? Let us know in the comments!
[Update] – the more I think about it, the more I am not so sure about this title. A couple thoughts –
Not having “Man of Steel” in the title is odd since, after all, this is a sequel to the movie Man of Steel.
- This has to be one of the few movies where the title of the sequel has no relation (in its name) to the original movies title. I can’t think of one…
- Having “Superman” in the title is odd since, in Man of Steel, they went out of their way to never really say “Superman” that or call him by that name.
- Having “Batman” listed first in the title of the movie, which is a sequel to Man of Steel… is rather odd. Shouldn’t they have at least called it “Superman v Batman: Dawn of Justice?” And not the other way around?
- Saying Batman v Superman in the title is a BIG commitment. I mean, that is a HUGE promise you are making to the audience by saying, “these two characters will fight.” I mean, of course they will, it’s in the damn title! They better! And if it’s just like a little fight in the beginning of the movie like say, Iron man and Thor had in the Avengers, that is going to be BIG disappointment to the audience. By saying” Batman v Superman” in the title, the audience is expecting a movie where that will a main story line. And if it’s not, you better believe that people will be pissed.
- A much better title would have been “Man of Steel: Dawn of Justice” for several reasons. One, it obviously seems like more of a sequel since the damn name is the same as the original. Two, having the word “Justice” in there is a huge flag for the majority of your audience (comic book nerds) that this will introduce/setup the Justice League, so then it is expected that we will see Batman. And three, with the MASS MARKETING that will undoubtedly take place for this movie, do you really need to include Batman’s name in the title to let us know he is in the movie!? I am sure we will see 6 trailers, 7 movie clips, 8 TV spots, a couple Burger King commercials and a partridge in a pear tree leading up to this movies premiere. We will be well aware that Batman is in this movie, and probably sick of hearing about it by then.
- Also, last and certainly least, Paul and I were discussing this and he brought up a good point (for once in his life). They have the name “Batman” in the title of this movie, however in this new universe, we haven’t yet met a “Batman” it seems as though they are forcing us to care about a character that they haven’t even introduced yet!
- I think this title is just an indication of trying way too hard… they are trying so damn hard to mimic the success of the Marvel Cinematic Universe that they are already committing themselves to this new universe having only one movie under their belt, and are jumping in head first with this title saying “look at us! We can do this too!”
Also, be sure to check out all our other Superhero movie reviews!!!